Sapling Skills Summer 2021 (ages 6-10)
Time & Location
About the Event
Children's curiosity reaches up and out naturally, like saplings searching for the sunlight. When adults are able to meet them where they're at, we can help cultivate the passion for learning and growth that is inherent in every person. We gravitate towards building, creating, exploring and making decisions that affect our world because we, as humans, have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years of living in direct relationship with the land. These skills are embedded in our collective memory; that's why so many kids love playing outside.
Our six-week sapling series is designed to provide an approachable, accessible introduction to many small-scale, place-based living skills for kids ages 6-10. We meet once a week for three hours at the Eastern Promenade in Portland and facilitate a rotating variety of outdoor activities.
Summer 2021 Dates:
July 7, 14, 21, 28,
Summer 2021 Classes:
1. Making shelter, emergency preparedness, land navigation
2. Foraging for wild edibles, plant medicine, natural awareness
3. Matchless fire-starting, campfire safety
4. Journey looms, woven bags and pouches
5. Bundle-bows and arrows, archery, spears and atlatls
6. Invasive bittersweet baskets, natural cordage and carabiners from plant fibers
- Saplings Series Summer 2021$245$2450$0