Sapling Skills Series - Fridays (FULL) (1)
Time & Location
About the event
Children's curiosity reaches up and out naturally, like saplings searching for the sunlight. When adults are able to meet them where they're at, we can help cultivate the passion for learning and growth that is inherent in every person. We gravitate towards building, creating, exploring and making decisions that affect our world because we, as humans, have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years of living in direct relationship with the land. These skills are embedded in our collective memory; that's why so many kids love playing outside.
Our six-week sapling series is designed to provide an approachable, accessible introduction to many small-scale, place-based living skills for kids ages 7-14. We meet once a week on Friday afternoons for two hours at the Eastern Promenade in Portland and facilitate a rotating variety of outdoor activities.
September/October 2020 Dates:
Sepember 18, 25
October 2, 9, 16, 23
September/October 2020 Classes:
1. Making shelter, emergency preparedness
2. Matchless firestarting, campfire safety
3. Bundle bows and arrows, archery
4. Invasive bittersweet baskets, natural cordage from plant fibers
5. Coal-burned spoon carving
6. Japanese knotweed flutes, drums and other instruments
- Saplings Fridays Sept/Oct 2020$130$1300$0